Monday 5 October 2009

Lost in Cyberspace

Floating, floating, somewhere in cyberspace. Isolated and lost. How can I reconnect to all things earthly. It feels like I am cut off from the rest of my family and friends. Withdrawal symptoms. Don't know what's happening to anyone anymore. It feels weird, strange.

The cause of my unease, anxiety and frustration......I haven't been able to log in to Facebook since Saturday. Have I been "blackballed" - I've deleted those offending cookies but still no joy. Can FB really still be doing site maintenance.

What did I do before FB - used the telephone or email of course. That seems so passe now.

How the world has changed - social networking is now at a new level. But I'm hooked. I imagine that there are more people collecting friends than there are people collecting stamps - more "Penny Black" friends on FB.

Jayne said to me it's strange that when we meet someone in the street or at work and they ask how we are we most often reply "fine", "OK". However on FB we seem to want to tell the world when we are not fine, not OK, when we are ill.

Who's winning at Bejeweled Blitz - no need to ask really - it will be my sister, Susan of course. Who's posted new photographs. Who's crops need harvesting and fish need flushing or feeding. Who's the latest tough guy in Mafia wars. What's the latest quiz doing the rounds. Will I have any new friends. This got me thinking what the noun for collecting friends might be - here are some suggestions:-

socialallergy - preferring online friends
mateorology - collecting friends who only talk about being under the weather
relatvity - all your friends are family
phillately - all your friends are call Phil - not to be confused with stamp collecting


Technology changes so fast. I heard on the radio the other day from some "techie guy" that in the near future all TV programmes will be delivered via the Internet and not television sets. We will not sit down at 7.30pm to watch "Corrie" as dictated by the TV schedulers - instead we will watch what we want, when we want - viewing on demand on your computer. I know we can get TV programmes that way already - BBC iPlayer and 4 On Demand for example. I also regularly listen to radio on the net - either live or "listen again".

Change or get left behind.

OK drama over for now - taking refuge in my new hobby of blogging. I don't have the poetry and imagery of Jaxter in her Jottings (it's really not boring Jax). Just some rambling drivel I'm afraid.

So I'm sat here with Jayne listening to Rosanne Cash's new CD - The List. A selection of country songs suggested to Rosanne by her dad Johnny Cash back in the summer of 1973. He described them as their musical genealogy. Why did we buy it.....one of the songs is a duet with Bruce Springsteen!!!

Jayne spent the weekend setting up her online shop to sell her handmade Christmas tree ornaments. This is called Ohchristmastree and can be found via the following link http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=8181181

There are more items to add so put the link in your favourites and keep checking what's on offer - you can also buy something if you want!!

Not being on FB so much has also meant that I have been reading more over the last couple of days - Harlan Coben "Promise Me". I like HC - if you haven't tried him yet he's worth a try.

Thought for Tomorrow: Modern art - if it hangs on a wall it's a painting; if you can walk round it it's a sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment