Sunday 19 June 2011

RIP Clarence "Big Man" Clemons

Photo from BBC website

Clarence Clemons
11 January 1942 - 18 June 2011


We woke this morning to the very sad news that Clarence “Big Man” Clemons had died after suffering a stroke last weekend.
You will find lots of comments from fans on facebook and good news coverage at BBC and the New York Times.
The last time I saw the “Big Man” was in November 2009 when we went to two Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band shows at Madison Square Garden, New York.  So for me that will always be even more special.
I can’t really do justice trying to describe the love and affection that E Street Band followers have for Clarence - so I’m not going to try.  Perhaps if I just say that when I heard  him play it often sent shivers down my spine - even when he didn’t quite hit the right notes.  It was just electric.

I feel sad that I won't see or hear him live again.
My wife (Jayne) bought me a saxophone for my 50th birthday.  I wanted to learn to play Clarence’s sax solos.  I never quite mastered it.  Now I have renewed determination to get to grips with it again so that I can play my own tributes to the “Big Man” any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment