Tuesday 20 April 2010

Two weeks off work

Quote....unquote: “The alternative to a vacation is to stay home and tip every third person you see”

I usually have time off work at this time of year. It's my birthday tomorrow and I like to be at home and not working so I save some of my annual leave to use at this time of year. I also use some of my time off to deliver leaflets for local elections (and this year of course a general election).

Perhaps, I think, that me and Jayne are a bit odd – now is not the time for you all to agree!!!

For a great many people having time off work means going on holiday – a vacation or a staycation – somewhere away from home. This might be to relax on a beach, a city break or an activity holiday – or any number of things. Trains, planes and automobiles. Long haul, short haul, self drive, coach, whatever floats your boat or indeed your cruise liner.

Don't get me wrong we have enjoyed some great holidays over the last 20 years or so. We've been to New York, Dublin, Paris, Amsterdam, Dominican Republic, Washington DC, Lake Garda, Majorca, Turkey, Minorca, Canary Islands, Mediterranean cruise, Normandy Beaches. In the UK we've also had breaks in The Cotswolds and Chester.

I wouldn't have missed any of those holidays and we had a wonderful time on each one – well except for Turkey where we had a run in with two men and a camel; and the Dominican Republic where we just had the runs for two weeks and got caught in the tail end of a hurricane.

Despite this I still love being in my own home surrounded by my things.
I don't have to get up for a sun bed, sit on the coach for another day trip, or feel like I have to do something, anything just because I am on holiday.

Yesterday, first day of my holiday, I stayed in bed until 11.30am. Logged onto computer. Watched some telly. Listened to music. Generally mooched around. It was just good to be at home and not have to make an effort.

Three of our holidays – New York, Dublin and Paris – were made to see Bruce Springsteen concerts. I'm not going to say anymore about this because I know that most of my family don't get it (especially my little brother Trevor). If you do want to read about our passion for The Boss have a look at Jayne's blog here idratherbeataspringsteengig


So I must admit that having been to NYC everything I have said about preferring to stay at home sounds even to me to be a bit.....well......odd. NYC is the exception that proves the rule – never did understand what that phrase meant – still don't.

Right must go. Did I say it's my birthday tomorrow (same day as QE2 – the queen not the boat). Need to pack our bags we're going away for a couple of days holiday to Sutton on Sea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought for tomorrow: There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the riverside looking like an idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment