Saturday 5 June 2010

World Cup Diary Blog #1

Well what a day yesterday.  Me and the Mrs D went to see Jackson Browne in Sheffield.  We had already planned to have a couple of weeks away at Butlins in Skegness and I was getting really excited about that.

Got home last night and had a message from Fabio telling me to get on the next plane to Johannesburg as Rio had injured his knee in a tackle on Emila Heskey - well that's what it sounded like.  I can't really understand a word that Fabio says.

"Hello'a Mikel itsa Fabio ere.  Thata bloody Emila Esky as nackurd Rio'as knee'a.  I'a kneed'a you'a to catcha plane'a to Johannesburga straighta waya"

So there I was in the early hours of Saturday just hoping those BA strikers - no not Burton Albion, British Airways - don't cancel my flight.  Anyway plane got away on time and I was able to get my head down for a few hours.

I can tell you I was mighty relieved that it was Rio that got injured and not JT.  Wouldn't have wanted to leave Mrs D behind with JT back in the country - if you know what I mean.

Arrived in Jo'burg safely and surprised to see JT at the airport - thought my mate Ledley would have been there.  Anyway JT took me to a local bar for a swift half before heading off to Rustenburg and my first training session.  Not sure what my squad number is going to be yet - maybe I will just get number 5, which was Rio's number.

Accommodation looks good - deffo much better than we would have had at Butlins.

OK that's it for now - will keep you all posted - at least until the end of the first round matches.  If things don't go to plan might even be home in time to go to Skeggy - have told Mrs D not to cancel the chalet yet - don't want to lose my deposit if it's not necessary.

Speak to you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment