Monday 7 June 2010

World Cup Diary Blog #3

Another hot and humid day here in South Africa.  Didn't realise how cold it would be at night though - temperature drops to as low as 3c so had to put on my fleecy PJ's in the early hours.

There was a bit of commotion in the hotel last night.  Some joker got in to Rooney's room and nicked his personal pillow.  Lots of shouting, laughing and joking until Wayno eventually tracked down his beloved pillow in Carrick's room.  Still some confusion whether or not it was Carrick who nicked it in the first place - the smart money is on Joe Cole - the little tinker.

Final friendly match today and I knew fairly early on that I would be getting a run out against what can best be described as a local pub team.  Not sure I will get a cap for this game but I suppose I am not an international player.

We were all required to meet local fans at the hotel before we set off for the match this afternoon.  Really surprised to see a group of people from the South African branch of A Question of Sport fan club.  They had come to meet Matt and had a big shock when they got me instead.  Could see the confusion on their faces but I think I got away with it.  Anyway I still autographed some of those funny shaped balls for them.

We got a good 3 - 0 win against Platinum Stars.  Not the best performance in the world and Wayno lost it a bit and got booked - he can be a divvy sometimes.  I was pleased with my 45 minutes and even got some comments quoted on the FA Website

Spoke to the boss (Harry) last night and commiserated with him after his England team lost the Soccer Aid 2010 game to a penalty by a bloke who's never played football in his life.  Some of the guys today were hoping David James would get crocked so that Fabio would call up Jamie Theakston as his replacement - he had a brill second half last night.

Right must go, me and the other four Spurs lads are having a card school tonight - if we can get some little nods, winks and tells between us we should be able to fleece the rest of the squad of a few Rands

No comments:

Post a Comment